Why Background Screening
They say “never judge a book by its cover!” When screening potential new employees, how do you know who “the bad apple” is?
Within the competitive job market more and more candidates are embellishing their career history. Whilst some aspects will be obvious, not all may be as it appears.
Risk factors to watch out for:
- Employee fraud
- Employing individuals who do not have the right to work
- Costs recruiting and training unsuitable candidates
- Corporate espionage
- Reputational damage
- Fight against terrorism and organised crime
- Threat of litigation
Background screening can ensure:
- The candidate is who they say are.
- Protects your company’s reputation.
- To adhere to legal requirements and industry regulations.
- To protect your company from candidate legal action.
- To save costs on bad hires.
Background screening is too expensive
- What’s expensive is losing a negligent hiring lawsuit at an average of £1M in damages. Employers lose more than 70 % of negligent hiring lawsuits. In contrast, the price of a comprehensive background check averages just £55 and can even go as low as £10 for a basic check.
Background checks are too time-consuming.
- Safe Screening offer web-based systems that allow you to quickly order background checks, obtain necessary applicant consents, and review the results within as little as 24 hours. Some reports can be available instantaneously.
Employment screening is too complicated.
- It doesn’t have to be. When you work with Safe Screening and our products you will be guided to select the right background checks for each position in your company with results just a few clicks away. We will even help you to ensure you are compliant with applicable rules and regulations. If you choose the right employment screening product, running a background check can be as easy as entering your applicant data and pressing a button.
We have been in business for 5, 10, 15, 20 years without doing background checks and everything has been fine.
- It’s not a matter of if; it’s a matter of when something bad will happen to your employees, your customers, your business, or a member of the public when you hire the wrong person. Whether your business is victimised by employee theft or your customers are endangered by the actions of an employee you shouldn’t have hired, the damage to your reputation, your brand, and your business are hard to measure. We are not saying that a background check is the end- all be-all solution to your business risks, but employment background checks are a simple step you can take to improve your odds.
I’m a good judge of character.
- Guessing that most business owners would have this same excuse. The unfortunate truth is that it is very difficult to eliminate a candidate you like when your first impression is positive. It is just not in our nature to second guess our own instincts. That’s why background screening should be a required part of your hiring process – to protect yourself from your own subjective judgments.
We say, let the excuses rest and give a long thought to how your brand, your profits, and your people could be impacted by the wrong hire. Risk management starts with people, and selecting the right people requires the objective data of employment background checks.
> Back to Home